We stayed at Doubletree by Hilton in Naha, Okinawa. The location is convenient and it is close to Times Car Rental where we rented a car for 10 days.
Things to do or try in Naha : (going to talk about central and Northern Okinawa in another post)
- Makishi market – must try the spam onigiri outside the market
- Okinawan Prefectural Museum and Art Museum
- Tsuboya Pottery Village (must get coffee and shaved ice at the only cafe on this 400meter long street)
- Eat lots of pork dishes. They specialize in pork.
- Shuri Castle, a UNESCO Workd Heritage site
- Kokusaidori Street – we ended up with a suitcase full of food all worth it
- Blue Seal Ice cream – try the purple yam called Ube
- Don’t waste your time eating taco rice, not worth the calories
- Acai bowls
- Ryukyu cuisine
- Sea grapes umi budo (could this be the answer to long life of is it the pig faces they eat?)
- Bitter melon Goya or champuru (it’s not bitter at all!)
- Okinawan style ramen with pork
- Pigs ears
- Okinawa passion fruit
- Okinawan fermented tofu
- Calbee + store to eat fresh potato chips!